Welcome to “Weekly Highlights”, our weekly post that recaps important child health and safety news, research, and recalls from the previous week and other great reads we’ve come across in our internet travels.
In the News:
Crotchless Thong Underwear for the Mature 7-Year-Old - All I can say is that this is one twisted publicity stunt. The shop owner’s justification that these were intended for the older teenage customers is almost as disturbing.
Congress Invents New Vegetable: The Pizza - Actually, they just caved to food industry lobbyists and ensured that the two tablespoons of tomato paste on pizza continues to qualify as a vegetable. Disappointing, truly disappointing.
Toys Safer This Holiday Season Due to Stronger Safety Rules - Positive news from the CPSC. Recalls and lead violations are down. Still, there were over 180,000 treated in ERs last year due to toy-related injuries, so the CPSC also offers tips for choosing safer toys.
Johnson & Johnson, Amid Activists’ Push, Steadily Removing Toxic Chemicals From Baby Products - Amid pressure from activists and consumers (see last week’s highlights), J&J issued a statement Wednesday that they will remove all quarternium-15 from its baby products within about 2 years and will continue to work with suppliers to reduce traces of 1,4-dioxane.
More Vegetables Evolving Chocolate-Filled Centers as Evolutionary Imperative
In an effort to ensure their survival, crops are evolving to compete with processed foods. Just for fun.
The Occupy Protesters Could Learn a Few Things From My Kids from Housewife Info Junkie - This mom compares the Occupy movement to a grown up temper tantrum. Read on for her motherly advice for the protesters.
A thought-provoking video on what’s wrong with the U.S. education system, and an entertaining and fascinating argument to watch develop before your eyes:
Recalls, November 15 – November 21:
CPSC Child Product Recalls
- Collective Brands Recalls KEDS Girls’ Shoes Due to Laceration Hazard
- Children’s Animal Slippers Recalled Due to Choking Hazard; Sold Exclusively at Family Dollar Stores
- Build-A-Bear Recalls Teddy Bear Swimwear Set Due to Strangulation Hazard
Child Safety Seat Recalls
No child safety seat recall announcements this week.
- Maumee Valley Vending Company Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in Buffalo Chicken Wedge Sandwiches Containing Cheese
- United Natural Foods, Inc. Announces Updated Information For Recall Related to Gentes Foods Gordita Black Bean Tortillas Due to Possible Health Risk
- Ready Pac Foods, Inc. Announces Voluntary Product Recall Because Of Possible Health Risk
- The J.M. Smucker Company Announces a Limited Voluntary Recall on Two Specific Best-If-Used-By Dates of 16 oz. Smucker™s Natural Peanut Butter Chunky Due to Possible Health Risk
- United Natural Foods, Inc. Expands Recall Of Foodmatch Inc. Divina Olives Due To Possible Health Risk
- M&P Food Production Recalls Veal Russian Brand Dumplings on Undeclared Pork
If there’s anything you see and think we should feature, please send it our way to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope your week is off to a great start!
Jasmine & Heather