I hope you had a wonderful weekend! My apologies for missing the highlights last week. January is a hectic month for me, so after work and family there hasn’t been much time left over. Because we missed last week, you’ll see a little more in this week’s highlights, our weekly post that recaps important child health and safety news, research, and recalls from the previous week and other great finds we’ve come across in our internet travels.
In the News:
Mom Claims in Viral Blog That Disabled Child Denied Transplant – Given patient confidentiality laws, it’s not possible to have the whole story, but I sincerely hope this child is able to get the kidney she will need. Heartbreaking.
FDA Halts Imports of Orange Juice: Is It Safe to Drink? - The FDA has halted all imports of orange juice after The Coca Cola Company, maker of Minute Maid and Simply Orange, notified that some Brazilian growers had sprayed their trees with a fungicide that is illegal in the U.S. The FDA is not issuing a recall citing no safety concerns over consumption at low levels, but they are now inspecting all imported juices.
A Specialists’ Debate on Autism Has Many Worried Observers - The standard reference manual for mental disorders is under revision, and many are worried that changes in the definition of autism, aspergers, and other disorders may limit or take away services available to those who currently qualify.
Connecticut Lawmakers Consider Ban on Flame Retardants in Baby Products - Citing a new report which found flame retardants in 17 of 20 baby products, Connecticut lawmakers consider ban.
LEGO Petitioned to Stop Gender-Based Marketing - After LEGO introduced a girlified version of LEGOs for girls featuring taller, skinnier, more accessory-friendly characters, backlash ensues with a petition to end gender-based marketing. My girls happily play with the standard LEGOs, as I’m sure do many others. This is the last thing our girls need. Sign the petition, if you like, here. The petition has reached almost 50,000.
Babies Learn to Talk by Reading Lips
Ever noticed your baby studying your mouth when you speak? New research suggests that babies’ attention focuses on the mouth between about 6-12 months as they turn their attention to speech development in order to learn how to shape their lips and form sounds. Around the age of 1, their gaze comes back to the eyes, unless they are learning a foreign language in which case they will continue to focus on the mouth. Fascinating!
Parabens Found in 99% of Breast Cancer Tumors
A study of breast cancer tissue samples taken from 40 women undergoing mastectomies between 2005 and 2008 in England found that 99% of the samples contained at least one paraben and 60% of samples contained five. The study does not draw conclusions about cause and effect but does highlight the need for further study.
Plasticizer (Phthalate) Increases Miscarriage Risk
In the first study to examine phthalate exposure and miscarriage in humans, scientists in Denmark found that women exposed near the time of conception to relatively common levels of a particular phthalate are more likely to experience early miscarriage compared to women with lower exposures. Only exposures around conception, and not in the prior month, were linked to miscarriage. Couples attempting to get pregnant between 1992 and 1994 contributed urine samples, and scientists tested samples taken shortly before ovulation for phthalate levels and after ovulation for confirmed pregnancies and losses. The samples were tested in 2009?? Regardless, further research is necessary to confirm the conclusions, but animal/rodent studies have shown similar associations.
Eating Mercury-Tainted Fish Affects Stress Hormones in Children
A new study of 100 children, aged 9 to 11, found that higher mercury levels in the children’s blood was significantly associated with lower cortisol levels. Cortisol is released in response to stress and is important for metabolism, immune responses, and blood pressure. Lower cortisol levels and responses can contribute to chronic stress. The children’s fish eating habits were monitored, and the fish eaters had almost three times higher the level of mercury of the non-fish eaters. Consider this guide to fish and mercury levels from the Natural Resources Defense Council for limiting your child’s mercury consumption.
Baby Sleep Positions from Howtobeadad.com – Too funny. Booby trap, H is for Hell, and Snow Angels are familiar territory in our home. How about you?
The Never Before Told, Super Secret Ingredient for Raising an Amazing Daughter from Lisa Kaplin at BuffaloGrovePatch - Be the woman you want your daughter to be. Well said.
Recalls, January 10 – January 22:
CPSC Child Product Recalls
- Chariot Carriers Recalls Child Bicycle Trailers and Conversion Kits Due to Injury Hazard
- The Land of Nod Recalls Bed Frames Due to Entrapment Hazard
Child Safety Seat Recalls
No child safety seat recall announcements this week.
- Price Chopper Supermarkets Recalls Shredded Taco Cheese
- JKS Wholesale SVCS, Allergy Alert On Undeclared Milk Allergens In “Torta de Pan” Date Code 02/15/2012
- Kradjian Imp Co Is Doing An Expanded Recall Of Cedar Tree Brand Tresse Cheese And Cedar Tree Brand Shinglish Cheese Because Of Possible Health Risk
- Rich Products Corporation expanded its voluntary recall on January 12, 2012, of Vanilla Pre-Soaked Sponge Cake to include the 8″ Vanilla Flavored Pre-Soaked Sponge Cake Artificially Flavored
- Winn-Dixie Issues Voluntary Recall On LEASA Brand Sprouts Due To Potential Salmonella Exposure
- LEASA Industries Co., Inc. Recalls LEASA Brand 6 oz. Living Alfalfa Sprouts Because Of Possible Health Risk
- Price Chopper Supermarkets Issues Voluntary Stuffed Clam Recall
- Price Chopper Supermarkets Recalls Tres Leches Cakes
- Minnesota Firm Issues Recall Due to Undeclared Soy Allergen in Certain Sunflower Seeds
- Herbadashery LLC Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Anchovy in Pine Ridge BBQ and Dipping Sauce and Pine Ridge Jalapeño BBQ and Dipping Sauce
- Gilster-Mary Lee, Corp. Announces Recall Of Hill Country Fare Brand Of Lasagna Dinner Mix Due To The Presence Of Undeclared Soy
- Blount Fine Foods Announces Rip Roar’N Crab Soup Recall For Undeclared Milk, Wheat And Crab Allergens
- D.F. Stauffer Biscuit Co., Inc. Issues Allergy Alert and Voluntary Recall on Safeway Snack Artist Sugar Free Bite-Sized Chocolate Chip Cookies Due to Mislabeling and Undeclared Allergens
- ZIP INTERNATIONAL GROUP LLC, Issues An Alert On Listeria In Sliced Herring Fillet In Oil (Forelka)
- North Carolina Firm Recalls Diced Beef Products That May Contain Foreign Materials
If there’s anything you see and think we should feature, please send it our way to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope your week is off to a great start!
XOXO, Jasmine & Heather