Welcome to “Weekly Highlights”, our weekly post that recaps important child health and safety news, research, and recalls from the previous week and other great finds we’ve come across in our internet travels.
In the News:
FDA Approves First Heart Pump for Kids - While heart failure is rare in children, this device will help prolong the lives of children waiting for transplants. It’s one of very few devices designed specifically for children.
Disney Unveils Newest Princess, Sophia the First, for Toddlers - Disney’s newest princess will be a toddler with lots of pretty dresses and sparkly shoes and an emphasis on inner beauty. It’d be nice to see a Disney character with a traditional family, too.
Maine Report Lists Products Containing Toxic Chemicals BPA and NPE – 25 manufacturers of children’s toys, infant formulas, baby food, paints, and cleaners reported in under Maine’s chemical reporting regulation. 280 toys containing BPA made the list with nearly all made by Playmobil. View the report here.
Two Dead in Louisiana After Unclean Water Used in Neti Pots - Yikes! Bacteria in the sinuses can easily get to the brain. Be sure to use distilled water, not tap water, with this at home sinus treatment.
This Week in History: Boston Schools Mandated Vaccination – Dec 15, 1827 – “no child left unvaccinated” became law in Boston. A little history lesson on the smallpox vaccine.
How Abuse Changes a Child’s Brain
In the first study to use MRI imaging to study the brains of children in violent homes, researchers found brain patterns similar to soldiers exposed to combat. Children adapt and become primed to perceive threats and pain but also more susceptible to long-term stress and anxiety. Heartbreaking.
30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself from Marc and Angel Hack Life - “Anyone can start today and make a new ending.” I absolutely loved this. Many great reminders of the best way to live and enjoy life.
Recalls, December 13 – December 19:
CPSC Child Product Recalls
Child Safety Seat Recalls
No child safety seat recall announcements this week.
- Ohio Processors, Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk Allergens in “Instantwhip B/C Topping” (Whipped Topping)
- B&M, Inc. Conducts A Voluntary Recall Of O Organics Organic Celery Seed Sold At Safeway Nationwide Due To Possible Salmonella Contamination
- Swanson Health Products Recalls Swanson Organic Celery Seed
- Velvet Creme Popcorn Co. Issues Allergy Alert On Undeclared Milk, Soy, And Wheat In Products
- Rising Moon Organics Announces a Voluntary Recall of One Code Date of Mislabeled Mediterranean Garlic & Herb Ravioli Due to Undeclared Soy Allergen
- Winn-Dixie Issues Voluntary Recall on Bulk Gummy Bears
- Rhee Bros., Inc. Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Egg in “Assi” Brand Korean Cake (Gyeong Dan)
- Nebraska Firm Recalls Ground Beef Products Due To Possible E. Coli O157:H7 Contamination
- Northeastern Grocery Chain Recalls Ground Beef Products Due To Possible Salmonella Contamination
- North Carolina Firm Recalls Meatloaf Entrées Due to Misbranding and an Undeclared Allergen
If there’s anything you see and think we should feature, please send it our way to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope your week is off to a great start! XOXO, Jasmine & Heather